12 Months before
* Decide upon a wedding date.
* Decide on your budget.
* If you are getting married in church you will need to agree on the arrangements with your local minister.
* If you are getting married in a register office, you will need to give notice to the Registrar
* Decide on the number of guests and make a list
* Book the wedding reception
* Book musicians, band or DJ for the wedding reception
* Book the magician or other wedding entertainment.
* Book the caterers
* Book the photographer and videographer
* Book the wedding transport
* Book the florist
* Book the toastmaster if you intend on having one.
* Book the honeymoon and apply for a new passport (i.e. The bride may wish to travel under her married name, but be prepared to be unable to travel until your wedding date, as your old passport will be invalid).
* Order the cake.
* Book an over night stay in a hotel room/bridal suite.
* Start looking for your wedding dress. Decide whether you want it handmade, a designer or ‘off the peg’ dress.
* Decide on your bridesmaids and ushers.
* Decide on your ‘Best Man’.
* Confirm all bookings in writing.
6 Months before
* Attend initial fitting for the wedding dress
* Choose the brides wedding shoes and accessories
* Choose the wedding attire for the groom, best man, bridesmaids, fathers, mothers and ushers
* Choose the brides and grooms wedding rings
* Order your wedding favours.
* Notify your bank, Building Society and relevant authorities that you intend on changing your name and as of what date it will take affect.
* Order the wedding invitations and other stationery.
* Take out wedding insurance, if required.
* Arrange to see your hairdresser or barber about what hairstyle you want on your big day. Brides should take along a picture of the dress and veil or headdress and other accessories to help the hairdresser create a hairstyle that will compliment and finish off the look.
* Go to a beauty salon and have a makeover.
* Book a beautician for your wedding day, if required
3 Months before
* Buy your Marriage licence from the registrar
* Send out the wedding invitations
* Decide upon your wedding list, and make it available to all your wedding guests
* Advise your guests to book any overnight accommodation now while there is still availability
* Confirm your ceremony details with either the registrar or the minister
* Decide upon your chosen wedding music or hymns
* Arrange for the ‘Order of Service’ sheets to be printed
* Buy gifts for the best man, ushers and bridesmaids
* Discuss the seating plan with the caterer
* Arrange to have any vaccinations done, if required
* Start to plan your hen and stag party
* If you have a Will get it updated to ensure it remains active after your marriage.
1 month before
* Arrange for a final fitting of your wedding dress.
* Reconfirm the wedding arrangements with the reception venue.
* Reconfirm the wedding arrangements with the caterer.
* Reconfirm the wedding arrangements with the florist.
* Reconfirm the wedding arrangements with the photographer and videographer
* Reconfirm the wedding arrangements with the company supplying the wedding transport.
* Reconfirm the honeymoon arrangements.
* Reconfirm all your entertainment.
* Have the hen and stag night.
* Finalise the seating plan with the caterer.
* Arrange a date for a wedding rehearsal, if required.
* Send out thank you cards to all guests who have responded to your invitation.
* Telephone any guests who have not yet responded to your invitation.
* Organise a date when you can pick up you’re wedding party outfits.
* Write the wedding speeches ( groom, best man, father of the bride).
7 Days before
* Have the wedding rehearsal.
* Pack for your honeymoon.
* Wear-in your wedding shoes. It will give brides who are not used to walking in high heels a chance to practice.
* Organise with a close friend to have an emergency wedding kit, just for the bride, containing makeup and a repair kit for the wedding dress, so you can be ready for any minor hiccups through the day.
* Give your ‘order of service’ sheets to the minister.
* Order your foreign currency and / or travellers cheques.
* Give the rings to the best man.
* Give the best man a list of all the wedding services involved in your wedding day, in case they need to be contacted
The Day before
* Have the day off.
* Brides and grooms go and have your nails manicured.
* Grooms go and have your hair tidied up around the back and sides.
* Grooms, consider a proper shave at the barbers shop.
* Spend the rest of the day relaxing.
* Try and get an early night